What does 2024 hold for the super Serb after a knee injury forces his Roland-Garros withdrawal
Novak Djokovic’s title defence at Roland-Garros, and his latest stint as world No.1, ended on Tuesday when the Serb announced his withdrawal from the second major of the year due to injury.
On Day 10 in Paris, the top seed withdrew from his anticipated quarter-final match with Norway’s Casper Ruud, a rematch of the 2023 final, a day in advance of it being scheduled due to a tear in the medial meniscus in his right knee.
The injury was discovered in an MRI scan he had following his five-set, fourth-round win over Argentina’s Francisco Cerundolo.
After his four-hour, 39-minute victory over No.23 seed Cerundolo on Court Philippe-Chatrier on Monday, alarm bells were raised when Djokovic revealed to reporters that he’d been managing knee troubles - “discomfort,” he said - during the clay-court season, which were exacerbated in his second marathon match in as many rounds.
Djokovic had previously defeated Italy’s Lorenzo Musetti in another four-hour, third-round affair - in the latest finish in Roland-Garros history - and he tweaked his knee early in the second set against Cerundolo.
"I was maybe three or four points away from losing this match,” said Djokovic, who trailed by a break in the fourth set. He got through it thanks to “adrenaline,” and painkillers, and expressed uncertainty whether he’d be able to take the court against Ruud - though candidly hoped to be able to do so. His reality set in less than 24 hours later.
“I played with my heart and gave my all in yesterday’s match,” Djokovic wrote in a statement on social media on Tuesday evening. “Unfortunately… my team and I had to make a tough decision after careful consideration and consultation.
“I wish the best of luck to the players competing this week and sincerely thank the incredible fans for all of the love and continued support. See you soon.”
Djokovic came to Paris with questions. For just the second time since winning his first ATP singles title in 2006, he arrived for Roland-Garros without even reaching a final since the turn of the new year. He leaves with few of those questions answered.
As a result of his withdrawal, Australian Open champion Jannik Sinner will rise to the top spot in the ATP rankings on Monday, the first Italian man to reach No.1. It also assures that a first-time Roland-Garros champion will be crowned in the men’s draw, and any possible extended layoff that this injury might cause for Djokovic could have similarly seismic implications for the rest of his season.
So, too, might there be for the waning days of Djokovic’s career. Now 37 years old, it’s no secret to say he’s closer to the end of his tenure as a professional tennis player than the beginning.
The surefire Hall of Famer’s competitive fire is still strong, as evidenced by the nine hours he logged on Paris’ main court across two days just to reach the quarter-finals. The self-belief that has helped him make otherworldly achievements look easily attainable for much of the last 15 years has never wavered, either